Famous Common Myths About Electricity

We have all learnt about the precautions and basic dangers of electricity, we have also been told facts about the subject that we just assume are true as they just make sense, right? Wrong! In fact in many cases people are being told false truths about electricity, this can be dangerous if these people are playing around with electrical devices and may not be aware of the possible dangers that could occur. Read on below for some of famous common myths about electricity.

Low Voltage Means No Danger

This is purely a myth, people tend to associate electrical shocks as either a quick zap or something out of a  Home Alone film. In fact low-voltage electricity can be extremely dangerous as well and despite the assumption of it being non-lethal this is not the case. A low voltage electric shock can cause electrocution and fatal injuries despite no visible external injuries.

Electric Generators Create Electricity 

You would assume that electric generators ‘generate’ electricity, after all it is in the name. This again is not true however, generators do not create electricity as they transform it. They transfer mechanical and kinetic energy into electrical energy by causing the electrons of the cables and circuits to flow.

Batteries Store Electricity

This is a very famous misconception, lots of people assume batteries are full of energy and electricity and that they slowly are drained of this over time to the point in which they are dead. This is completely false information! If you were to open a battery then you would find a chemical liquid called electrolyte, this tranforms into ions and electrons which are then discharged from the positive electrode. A battery has everything necessary within it so that electricity can flow.

Turning off Electrical Devices Stops Electricity Consumption

We have most likely all heard the phrase ‘turn the lights off when you leave the room’. This statement might be correct in some cases if you are not planning to return to the room quickly, yet if you are leaving for around 20-40 mins then you are actually better off leaving the lights on as this will save more energy than flicking them off and on.

Wood & Rubber Are Amazing Insulators 

You may have also been told that wood and rubber are the best insulators against electricity, and you may have seen films with people wearing rubber boots to avoid electrical damage on the floor. Now whilst Wood and rubber are good insulators, they are not sufficient enough to prevent an electrical accident such as a high-voltage shock for instance. This is due to the fact that objects are rarely pure rubber meaning that messing with wires even with rubber gloves on could still present a high risk.

Contact Us at MT Electrical 

Get in touch with our professional team at MT Electrical for our specialist domestic and commercial installation as well as any other electrical requirements that you may have. Call 01283 808432 or use our contact form.

The Best Ways to Dispose of Your Electrical Items
Read More
Famous Common Myths About Electricity
Read More
Electrical Work- Please Do Not DIY!
Read More