The bathroom is probably the most dangerous room in the house, as the mix of electricity and water could potentially be fatal. The consequences of an electric shock in the bathroom are far more severe than any other place in your home, as water on the skin reduces the body’s resistance to it. Therefore, it is extremely important to know about the many risks that are in an everyday bathroom to ensure your safety.
There are mandatory requirements for electrical installations into a bathroom that comply with Part P of the building regulations. It is strongly advised for your safety that you get a government-approved electrician to implement any installations into your bathroom as even the slightest mishap could end in tragedy.
Sockets are only allowed in bathrooms if they can be placed three metres away from your shower or bath (unless they are shaver-supply units).
Even electrical shaver points must be a safe number of metres away from the possible splash radius of your shower or bath.
Enclosed ceiling lights are much preferred over lights that hang down for again, fear of water getting into your electrics. All the light fittings that are not enclosed should at least be out of reach from someone in the shower and after they have exited it, as they are still wet. You should avoid using everyday light switches in fear of someone’s wet hands causing an electric shock for them. Instead, you should use a ceiling-mounted pull-cord switch with a plastic casing around the cord to maintain your safety.
The safest way to heat your bathroom is through central heating, however, if you do not have central heating and you have an electric heater, then you will need to proceed with caution and fix the electric heater to a safe distance away from your bath or shower. If you do have an electric or gas heater in your bathroom then it must be fixed and permanently wired for your safety. They should only be powered by a socket if the electrical appliance is a safe three metres away from potential water splashes.
An electric shower must be supplied on its own circuit which directly from your fuse box to keep you safe.
You should never bring mains-powered appliances such as hairdryers, radios, or heaters into your bathroom, as this could lead to serious injury and potentially death.